Saturday, June 29, 2019

Invest in Myself: Week 27

Welcome to the recap of Invest in Myself, Week 27.

Even though I was on a business trip for more than half of the week, it was surprisingly low stress. The days were long, food options weren't great, and exercise was non-existent, but it wasn't as bad as I anticipated.

Let's review my week...

Motivation & Accountability

Surprisingly, I lost as much weight this week as I gained in week 26, and I'm now back at my lowest weight for the program.

For week 27 of the Real Appeal program we focused on healthy meals that can be prepared quickly. I missed my regular class, but was able to squeeze in a make-up class while I was in a taxi going to the airport on Thursday.

Ideas for a quick breakfast


Nutrition

I tracked everything I ate, and was definitely above my target caloric intake most days. The meals we had available to us during the conference weren't the healthiest of choices, but I did the best I could. However, I certainly didn't expect to lose weight when I had eaten all of those extra calories!

Temptations were everywhere!

Quick snack at the airport.
Fun fact: this bar was co-created
by Jim Peterik, co-writer of Eye of the Tiger


Exercise

I walked once this week. During the conference we moved so little that I didn't even hit 5,000 steps on Tuesday and Wednesday. On Monday and Thursday I made sure to walk in the airport so I would get some extra steps.


There are lots of wellness motivators at Dulles Airport

I'm looking forward to the start of the Reston Runners' 10 Weeks to 10k program in a few weeks. Having a regular group run helps keep me consistent. I think I'll be coaching rather than participating, which is exciting and rewarding.

Running the Seize the Day 5k on 6/22 with some of the women
I coached during the Women's Training Program
photo credit Katherine Qian (source)


Self-Care

Self-care was minimal this week. As I mentioned last week, I upgraded both of my flights to first class which definitely minimized stress and provided a little pampering. I also picked up the phone and scheduled a whole slew of healthcare appointments yesterday - annual skin exam, annual eye exam, colonoscopy (oh, the joys of turning 50), and a trip to the podiatrist. I also made plans to get to the laboratory for some blood work next week.


Looking Ahead


Next week should be fairly quiet and low stress. I have a lot of white space on my calendar to get things done at work and a couple of staycation days coming up.

See you next week! 

2 comments:

  1. colonoscopy tip, dear niece: try it without sedation. It takes all the confusion and mystery out of this usually 15 minute procedure. It does not hurt, if the doctor goes slow around the corners and does not rush to the top of your colon(they examine it as they pull the camera out); and if they find and remove a polyp, you will not feel a thing--few nerve endings in those walls. Because dad had colon cancer, i have been getting them every five and only with the first one was i sedated against my will and had to have a friend drive me home after i woke up and felt confused and disoriented. I like watching the screen with my doc and his assistants; and even more i like driving myself home after. Best of outcome whatever course you choose, Kim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the tip - I had no idea that was even an option!

      Delete