Friday, January 24, 2014

Cherry Blossom 10 Miler Training Begins!

I am very excited that the Potomac River Cherry Blossom 10-miler training program kicks off this weekend!  We got our welcome email on Thursday afternoon and it made me feel so official.  I'm especially looking forward to being part of the group, running with people who are training for the same goal as I am. 

Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run

We will have our informal kickoff Sunday morning at the PR store to meet with our coaches and talk about the program.  Then there will be an optional run after that.  Sunday night is when we will get the actual training plan, and I'm really anxious to see the plan and what the goals are each week.  I'm hoping that seeing the plan will make it seem more realistic in my mind, help me believe that I can really do this!

I haven't run a 10-mile race since 1995.  And that race sent me to physical therapy for patellofemoral pain, aka runner's knee.  So I'm nervous.  Can I really pull this off?  Run this far without injuring myself?  Run fast enough to finish before the course limit of 2 hours and 20 minutes?  There is a lot of self doubt mixed in with my excitement.  But I know that I am training with great coaches who will help me build both the physical and mental capabilities I will need to accomplish my goal.  I can't wait to get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment