Sunday, November 17, 2019

from Survive to Thrive: Week 2

Welcome to from Survive to Thrive: Week 2!

Although it looked bleak for a while there, I think I will be able to achieve closure with my final weeks of Real Appeal after all.

Let's review my week...

Real Appeal Status

During weeks 44 and 45 of "Invest in Myself" I wrote about the frustration of being kicked out of Real Appeal before the end of the year-long program. They were transitioning to a new platform, which required a new enrollment (HIPAA protection), and I couldn't enroll since my BMI was in the healthy range (largely thanks to my participation in Real Appeal).

As expected, last week my class was merged with another class since my coach, Saharra, was transitioning to the new platform. The other class, led by a coach named Jarid, was on week 43. My old class had just finished week 46, so my final four classes would be repeats of material I had just covered. I called the support line to see if I could transfer to a different class and they found one that was on week 48, so I made the switch.

I showed up for the new class and discovered it was led by Coach Hannah, my original coach to whom I reluctantly had to say good-bye during week 24 when our class was merged with Saharra's class. I will get to close out my final weeks with Hannah!!! And since I had to skip week 47, I'll get to week 51, which is close enough to the end (week 52), that it can feel like closure.


Week 47: Breaking the Chains 

I was disappointed to miss the week 47 class, which focused on breaking the chains holding you back from weight loss success. This topic is an important one for me and I carefully read the weekly material that I missed.

For the past few weeks (months?), I have been mired in chain reactions that have been impeding my success. Chain reactions are defined as a series of impactful events stretching back several days, weeks, or even months. We can look backward and identify the precipitating event and various links in the chain, and learn how to prepare to prevent a chain reaction in the future.

Source: Real Appeal Week 47 Success Guide

The picture above is probably too small to read, but the vehicles represent common causes of chain reactions:


Spreading yourself thin

Being tired or hungry
Procrastinating
Unexamined emotions
Unrealistic goals 
Being away from home


Lately I've been dealing with everything on that list except procrastination. I've been away from home a lot and overextended at work for a while now. Being overextended at work has spilled over into my personal life leaving me spread too thin, trying to achieve unrealistic goals, often ending up tired and hungry while ignoring the resultant emotions.

There isn't an easy fix, but I'm working on it. I've been talking to my boss about the unsustainability of my workload, and I have some planned staycation time coming up to recharge. I'm also trying to prioritize sleep and be realistic about what I can accomplish in any given timeframe.

Plan how to prevent or break a chain reaction
Source: Real Appeal Week 47 Success Guide


Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run

We officially kicked off preparation for the 48th running of the Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run and 5k Walk (#CUCB2020) on Thursday evening with our annual Fall Kick-off Party. I'm the social media point for Facebook, and this marks the beginning of our busy season as we ramp up for the lottery, training, expo, and race.

Sarah Beth (and baby bump!), Heather, me
#CUCBsocial at the kick-off party

I'm especially invested in the race this year, because I want to run it. Since being diagnosed with hallux rigidus and learning to manage it, I've become slower and haven't run more than four miles at a time.

Honestly, I'm scared. I don't want to do further damage to my toes, which is why I've been hesitant to try to go faster and farther.

However, I don't want to be someone who doesn't try. I miss the runner that I used to be. I want to find her again. I'm going to push past the fear and test my limits.

#CUCB2020 Race t-shirt art
party attendees chose dark teal (right)

Looking Ahead


This is my last crazy work week for November. It's better than recent weeks, though, because I don't have to spend any nights away from home. My goals for the week are:
  1. Track everything I eat in MyFitnessPal
  2. Make realistic to-do lists at work and home each day
  3. Run at least once, do yoga at least once
  4. No work email Friday evening

See you next week! 

________________________________________

Accountability: Health Stats

weight: 112.1
body fat: 27.0%
average steps: 7,259
average sleep: 7 h 58 m
average stress: 20
run/walk: 2.6 miles
yoga: 2 sessions

Accountability: Goal Check

Goal: No work email on Thursday evening
Status: Although I didn't look at email during the kickoff party, I caved on the metro ride home

No comments:

Post a Comment