Saturday, April 20, 2019

Invest in Myself: Week 17


Welcome to the recap of Invest in Myself, Week 17.

This week was pretty calm and I focused on wellness. I did battle some pretty intense sugar cravings and I caved in a bit more than I'd like to admit.

Let's review my week...

Motivation & Accountability

I had my annual physical this week and it was rewarding to have my doctor notice that I had lost 10 pounds since my December appointment and congratulate me on my hard work. Stepping on the scale for that appointment in December was the event that snapped me into the realization that my weight gain had gone too far, and started this whole journey.

For week 17 of the Real Appeal program we focused on energy balance (calories in vs. calories out). I've been maintaining my weight for the last month or so, which indicates a balance between the two. When the goal is weight loss, you aim for negative energy balance (burning more calories than you consume).

We reviewed ways to improve energy balance; most of them relate to calorie consumption, but a few are focused on burning calories:

  • trim the unhealthy fat
  • don't feast your eyes with oversize portions
  • fill up on foods with fiber
  • tame your sweet tooth by limiting yourself to 3 slow, enjoyable bites
  • don't overestimate your calorie burn
  • track your calories to keep from inadvertently overeating
  • don't eat your emotions - find something other than food to console yourself
  • work NEAT movements into your day
  • schedule your workouts


Nutrition

This week I battled sugar cravings and emotional eating. There were treats everywhere I went and my willpower was weak. I'm working on finding distractions (go for a walk, have a glass of water) so I can do better next week.

M&M poll at my office (I ate some of these...)
L to R: Mexican Jalapeno Peanut, Toffee Peanut,
Thai Coconut Peanut, Hazelnut Spread (my fave)
Birthday cupcakes at my office (I did not have one of these!)

Exercise

I walked twice and did yoga once. Next week I commit to strength training at least once.


Self-Care

This week I've focused on wellness. I had my annual physical and mammogram. I got referral orders for a colonoscopy and routine lab work. And best of all, I had a massage!

I also had the lowest stress sleep that I've had since I started tracking stress with my Garmin. This is on a scale of 1-100:


Looking Ahead

Next week will be a little wonky. I'm in the city for work three days in a row and Rick is going to be out of town for a couple of days running Ragnar Trail Richmond. It's the kind of week when I'm at risk for stress eating, so I'll review my success strategies and prepare to distract and redirect myself.

Don't forget that the Women's Training Program starts on April 29th! I'll be coaching with the run/walk group, and the program is always such an inspirational experience with hundreds of women of all fitness levels. If you are in the Northern Virginia area, please consider joining us! My top 10 reasons to join are here and you can register here.


See you next week! 

(and hopefully at the Women's Training Program)

No comments:

Post a Comment