Sunday, August 13, 2017

Nobody Runs Alone & Everybody Finishes

"Our friend and BFF Shawn Mullaney crossed her final finish line at 5:45 last evening. Shawn was the toughest woman I know and fought against her cancer with superhero focus and determination. Rest in peace, dear Shawn." - Molly



One of the things that has helped keep me hopeful about learning to manage hallux rigidus and being able to return to running over the last 18 months has been the unwavering support of so many incredible women. One group in particular that is always there for me - and anyone in need - is the BFFs (Best Foot Forward).
The strength of the women in this group never ceases to amaze me. Over recent months, I've seen them giving unending support to our friend Shawn as she bravely faced the last stages of cancer. They were her family - spending time with her, building a ramp so she could be wheeled onto her deck and enjoy the fresh air, being her voice and advocating for her in hospice when she couldn't do it for herself. 

The BFFs have a running motto -  nobody runs alone and everybody finishes. They embrace it in running; they embrace it in life. And in death. I am honored to have these women in my life.

I was honored to have Shawn in my life. She stayed behind with me on many of my slower runs - and walks - this past year. She lived life to the fullest, kept a positive outlook, and fought her cancer with determination and strength. You can read Shawn's obituary here.

Rest In Peace, Shawn. Thank you for the miles and smiles.


9 comments:

  1. Kim, that is the perfect tribute to Shawn. It was an honor to know her, and it is an honor to be a BFF. Best group of women I've ever known.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim -- I was JUST (like in the past 48 hours) wondering about how you've been doing, and then this beautiful tribute pops up in my feed. Heal well, outside and in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! For thinking of me and for the healing wishes :)

      Delete
  3. So very sorry for your loss, Kim, but this was a beautiful tribute to your friend. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would not have been easy to put together Kim with that final finish line being so recent. This tribute is so incredibly beautiful. I love that motto of the BFF's.

    I am sincerely sorry for your loss. May God give you strength, comfort and healing in the days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carl. I appreciate your thoughts immensely. Nobody runs alone :)

      Delete
    2. You are most welcome Kim. thank you for sharing!

      Delete