Sunday, January 12, 2020

from Survive to Thrive: Week 10

Welcome to from Survive to Thrive: Week 10.

I had a great week: losing 2 pounds and 1 percentage point of body fat, learning about yoga for insomnia, and engaging in thriving and gratitude activities.

Let's review my week...


Anniversaries

I've had a few notable anniversaries recently that are worth mentioning:

  • Dec 23: 1 year of blogging weekly for "Invest in Myself" and "from Survive to Thrive"
  • Dec 27: 6-year anniversary of my blog
  • Jan 3: 20 years of working at NPC

That last one really blows me away. When they made the offer back in 1999, they were a little concerned that I wouldn't stay for very long because I had changed jobs so often.


Thriving

I've been successfully focused on thriving this past week. I got a wonderful surprise from my life coach Elena Sonnino to help me on my journey: an unexpected package containing her soon-to-be-launched Thrive journal and necklace!


One of the exercises in the journal is envisioning your truest self. Elena walks through this process in Episode 50 of her podcast, Sunrise in Your Pocket. I spent a lot of time thinking about this exercise over the past week. Below is my depiction of my (work-in-progress) truest self. You'll have to listen to the podcast to fully understand the various elements, but a lot of it is probably fairly self-explanatory.


On February 29 I'm going to a workshop with Elena and Kerry Thomas (Conquer the Chaos) entitled De-Cluttering for the Mind, Heart, and Soul. Early-bird pricing is in effect until January 31 - join me!




Yoga for Insomnia

On Saturday I went to a workshop at Lifetime Fitness on Yoga for Insomnia. Sometimes I have trouble falling asleep, sometimes I wake up during the night and have trouble getting back to sleep. We learned a calming sequence of yoga poses (these are my names for the poses):

  • single knee to chest 
  • supine twist
  • supported wide child's pose
  • seated forward fold
  • supported reclining bound angle
  • legs up the wall
  • corpse pose

We also learned a calming breathing technique which started with even counted inhalations and exhalations, shifting to lengthened exhalations. It's hard to have a busy mind when you are counting your breaths.


Gratitude

I've started using the Gratitude Sidekick Journal as part of my gratitude practice. Each day there are new tips and information, prompts for gratitude, questions designed to explore facets of gratitude, and mini gratitude actions. The Morning Sidekick Journal has been a great companion to my morning practice, and I'm finding the Gratitude Sidekick Journal is similarly a helpful tool.

Gratitude Sidekick Journal
a sample page from Habit Nest's website (source)
  


Looking Ahead

The Uncluttered program begins on Tuesday, and I'm excited to get started on it (FF25 gets you 25% off if you want to sign up).

My goals for the week are:
  1. Track everything I eat in MyFitnessPal 
  2. Do my morning routine every day
  3. Run/walk at least twice, do yoga every day
  4. Do Week 1 Uncluttered activities

See you next week! 

________________________________________

Accountability: Health Stats

average steps: 6,332
average sleep: 9h 18m
average stress: 27
run/walk: 2.5 miles
yoga: 9 sessions
weight: 114.7
body fat: 28.5%

Accountability: Goal Check

Goal: Track everything I eat in MyFitnessPal 
Status: Achieved!

Goal: Do my morning routine every day
Status: Achieved!

Goal: Run/walk at least once, do yoga every day
Status: Achieved!

Goal: Do the Headspace meditation challenge every day
Status: Achieved! It turns out this is just meditating using the Headspace app every day. I thought there would be special meditations for the challenge, but there aren't.

No comments:

Post a Comment