Sunday, January 5, 2020

from Survive to Thrive: Week 9

Welcome to from Survive to Thrive: Week 9.

This week had a gamut of activities from racing to surgery to working on my happiness project.

Let's review my week...


Happiness Project

Gretchen Rubin's Happiness Project Experience course has officially kicked off. January's focus is on self-knowledge. As part of the course, I developed a list of 20 things I want to do in 2020, which I posted earlier in the week.

I've also selected a one-word theme for the year: Thrive. Other words I considered include Boundaries, Balance, Gratitude, Intention, and Priorities. I selected Thrive because my vision of thriving encompasses all of the other words.  I also realized that I had effectively already selected Thrive when I launched "from survive to Thrive."

From my 20 for 2020 list: bullet journal with daily doodles


Races

I walked two races this week - Fairfax Four Miler on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day 5K. I enjoyed both races and it felt great just to be out there moving. I look forward to actually running races again soon.

Running is more fun with friends and accessories

In retrospect, this is too many accessories!

Rick (my husband) also ran the 5K

Surgery

On Thursday I had surgery to remove a basal cell carcinoma from my face. It went well and they got all of the cancerous cells out with the first cut. I'm on activity restrictions post-surgery, so my grand plans for the 30-day yoga challenge and walking 31 miles in 31 days are a bit behind.

The cut isn't pretty, but it's healthy!

Meditation

I've been meditating as part of my morning routine using the Headspace app. Headspace has a 2-week "Happy You Year" meditation challenge that starts on January 6. I'm looking forward to participating.

  

I'm also going to try out a live online guided meditation led by Gretchen Schutte this month. Michelle gifted me a free month and Gretchen matched her gift so I can experience it in February, too. Thank you both!

Looking Ahead

It's the week I've been dreading - back to work after my three-week staycation. I'm still a little bit in denial. Must all good things come to an end?

My goals for the week are:
  1. Track everything I eat in MyFitnessPal 
  2. Do my morning routine every day
  3. Run/walk at least once, do yoga every day
  4. Do the Headspace meditation challenge every day

See you next week! 

________________________________________

Accountability: Health Stats

average steps: 8,866
average sleep: 9h 2m
average stress: 16
run/walk: 10.3 miles
yoga: 1 active session/3 passive sessions
weight: 116.7
body fat: 29.6%

Accountability: Goal Check

Goal: Track everything I eat in MyFitnessPal 
Status: not achieved. I got back on track with tracking the latter half of the week and will carry that momentum into this week

Goal: Do my morning routine every day
Status: Achieved!

Goal: Run/walk at least twice, do yoga at least three times
Status: mostly achieved. I ran/walked three times! I did yoga once. After my surgery when my activities were restricted, I passively did yoga three times by breathing along with the daily Yoga with Adriene practice and imagining myself doing the movements.

Goal: Work on Happiness Project activities
Status: Achieved! 

3 comments:

  1. Much admiration of how organized you are Kim, both in your bullet journal and tracking accountability in health stats and goals. Glad they were able to get all the cancerous cells out on the first goal. All the best to you in 2020! ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Carl! It always makes my heart so happy to hear from you. Wishing you all the best for 2020, too!

      Delete
    2. You are very welcome Kim, and thank you! 😀

      Delete