Sunday, January 26, 2020

from Survive to Thrive: Week 12

Welcome to from Survive to Thrive: Week 12.

This week I allowed myself to play, found peace in the pause, and started training for the Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run. It was a great week!

Let's review my week...


Cherry Blossom Training

Training for the Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run officially kicked off this morning! I am a little nervous about whether my body (especially my toe) can build up the distance and speed to successfully run the race. That's the reason my "20 for 2020" goal is to train for the race (within my control) rather than to run the race (could be out of my control).

I got great advice from my life coach Elena and my friend Susan:
  1. Elena: we never know how a training cycle will go, even if we are 100% healthy going into it. Imagine your body is your ally and that it will work with you for the best possible outcome (which may or may not be running the race).
  2. Susan: reminded me to enjoy the first day of training and not judge myself for how far I go. Whatever the number of steps...it's enough! Also to remember it's not just about the race, it's about enjoying the journey to get there.
I thoroughly enjoyed the first day of training. It felt good to be back with the PR Training Program and to be assisting with the coaching. I had five people running with me today and I ended up going the full four miles. I felt so energized afterwards!

PR Reston Cherry Blossom Training Group


Peace in the Pause

I started off the week with a live guided meditation from Gretchen Schutte of Peace in the Pause. My friend Michelle gave the January meditation to me as a gift, and Gretchen matched her gift to give me the February mediation. It was very relaxing.

This week I started my own "Peace in the Pause" practice. I now have a daily reminder on my calendar to stop and listen to my thoughts. I take a quick break and write the answers to three questions:

  1. What story am I telling myself?
  2. Is it true?
  3. How can I reframe it?
My "Peace in the Pause" journal


Play

Another thing I've started this week is taking time to build LEGO. I jokingly told Elena that I wanted someone to pay me to play with LEGO all day. She helped me see that it didn't have to be my job; I could choose to spend some (non-work) time during my week playing and building.

So now instead of being jealous that my son is building cool things (he is currently building the Simpson's House), I sit with him (bonus - quality talking time!) and build my own cool things. This week I built the Tokyo and Shanghai skylines, and I'm currently working on Trafalgar Square.




Looking Ahead

This will be a busy week. Track starts on Tuesday evening and we have a Board meeting at work on Thursday and Friday. My routine will be out of whack and I'll need to do some planning. Should make for some interesting "Peace in the Pause" entries!

My goals for the week are:
  1. Track everything I eat in MyFitnessPal 5 days this week (leniency on Board meeting days)
  2. Do my morning routine every day
  3. Run/walk at least twice
  4. Do yoga at least three days
  5. Do Week 3 Uncluttered activities

See you next week! 

________________________________________

Accountability: Health Stats

average steps: 9,243
average sleep: 8h 58m
average stress: 27
run/walk: 7.4 miles
yoga: 4 sessions
weight: 116.5
body fat 29.4%

Accountability: Goal Check

Goal: Track everything I eat in MyFitnessPal 
Status: Mostly achieved. I didn't enter everything over the weekend, although I logged most things.

Goal: Do my morning routine every day
Status: Achieved!

Goal: Run/walk at least twice, do yoga every day
Status: Partially achieved. I ran twice, but I only did yoga 4 days. Playing with LEGOs ate into my yoga time.

Goal: Do the Week 2 Uncluttered activities
Status: Achieved! I made the chart below and walked around my house to fill it in and make observations.

No comments:

Post a Comment