We are eight days out from the Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run, and I am under-trained. Which is ironic when you consider I've spent the last ten weeks helping other runners be well-prepared for this same race. So how did I get here? Let's review...
- I'm going to move up to the intermediate training program this year!
- It will be tough to fit the workouts in with everything on my plate right now, but I trained for a marathon last year and only missed one workout. How much harder can this be?
- Training: on track with intermediate program.
- Wow, I forgot how much time coaching takes. I'll just switch to the beginner program.
- Work is kicking my butt this month...I've missed a lot of the weekday training runs.
- Training: mostly on track with beginner program, as long as you don't look too closely at the weekdays...
- Huh, work is even more intense this month. That business trip to California sucked up almost a week of my time.
- Ah, the business trip that keeps on giving - I picked up a cold along the way. I am sleeping over 10 hours a night and still feel exhausted. WTF?
- Must. Keep. Working. Oops, sinus infection. Still exhausted. Finally go to the doctor and take some time off.
- Training: 5 miles the first weekend...and then nothing...until March 22. Training completely off the rails.
- Should I run the 10-mile or switch to the 5k?
- 5k cheerleaders:
- Ego: You can't come anywhere close to your previous 10-mile times in your current under-trained state.
- Nervous Nelly: You've barely run in the past month. You might injure yourself if you take on too much.
- Coach Kim: After the 5k you can cheer at the finish line for all of the runners in your training program.
- 10-mile cheerleaders:
- Competitive Spirit: March was a bust but you had a good base in February. You got up to 8 miles. You can certainly run 10, get out there and see what you are capable of even in your under-trained state.
- Social Butterfly: You love this race! You want to be on the course, running with & talking to other runners, experiencing the full race. You have to run it!
At this point, I honestly don't know what I'm going to choose. Any advice?