Saturday, August 4, 2018

Ultimate Coffee Date: August 2018



Happy August!

Where did July go?! It's time for our monthly coffee date, co-hosted by Coco and Deborah. Stop by their blogs to visit the rest of the linkup.

In the meantime, pull up a chair and let's catch up. It's been a busy month!

If we were having coffee, I would tell you...

Metro continues to be a mess here in DC. We've got some major trackwork coming up for two weeks in August. Service is going to be cut back so severely during this time that Metro actually said: "Only take Metro if you have no other option" (4th bullet below).

I've been apprehensive for a while now about the impact of this planned work on my commute, but this last announcement pushed me over the edge. I've decided to just take time off of work rather than deal with the hassle of lengthy and frustrating commutes. Quality "me" time - how's that for making lemonade out of lemons?

I do recognize this work is necessary and I do
appreciate Metro's efforts to improve the system
(source)

If we were having coffee, I would tell you...

Kohl's has a new coffee date-appropriate yoga tank that amuses meIt says: "please grant me coffee to change the things I can, and yoga to accept the things I can't."  I had to buy it! (link)


If we were having coffee, I would tell you...

Tomorrow we're going to Brickfair. We've gone for the past few years and I've always enjoyed the LEGO extravaganza through my son's eyes, but this year I'm looking forward to enjoying it through my own, too. I have really gotten into LEGO these past few months.

It's so satisfying to build things with bricks! The picture in the upper corner of this blog is the ever-growing LEGO flower garden from my office. It reminds me to stay zen. At home, my son and I are building a modular city.


Our modular LEGO city - SO FUN!!

If we were having coffee, I would tell you...

We should catch up more often! Let's plan to have coffee again on September 1.

The Ultimate Coffee Date

14 comments:

  1. That tank is the best! I remember going to Brickfair when my boys were younger - it is so much fun to see it through their eyes - have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle! We had a great time at Brickfair. We saw some amazing creations and bought a few fun items to build at home.

      Delete
  2. The tank is cute (except I don't drink coffee!). I'm one of those annoyingly perky morning people (well, sometiems).

    Your lego city is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judy! We just started building the grocery store for our LEGO city :)

      I wish that I could be an annoyingly perky morning person! It gets your day off to such a good start when you're awake and upbeat from the get-go!

      Delete
  3. That tank is pretty awesome! I think I'd appreciate Brickfair too. I grew up playing with Lego when the pieces/sets were pretty simple, and ended up putting together some complex ones for my kids until they got older. I think the hospital was the biggest one I did ... :-)

    What baffles me about Metro is that they do all this and then wonder why ridership is down. I think next summer several stations at my end will be closed for months. That's going to be a traffic nightmare and I'm sure most of those rides will get used to their "alternate" plans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That baffles me about Metro, too, Courtenay. Reduced availability + higher fares = lower ridership. Seems obvious.

      I had to google the Lego hospital as I hadn't seen it before. It looks like it would be fun to build :)

      Delete
  4. I love the brick-fair idea! My kids would love it too- so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That shirt has my name written all over it too! Good luck navigating metro the next few weeks ugh. Thanks for linking up coffee always great to have you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the Metro good luck wishes, Deborah! I like your t-shirt that says "my coffee needs coffee" :)

      Delete
  6. OMG - I love, love, LOVE your Lego city at home! That is really, really cool! Thanks for sharing!! Enjoy your me time and your 'lemonade'!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gina! Hope to see you at a race soon :)

      Delete