Sunday, December 23, 2018

Invest in Myself: Week 0

When did I go off the rails? When did I lose myself and my commitment to health?

It's been a gradual trip over the past year:
  • Less running became no running as my toe began to flare again. 
  • Occasional unhealthy food choices became frequent unhealthy choices as I began to feel sorry for myself. 
  • I've gained 15 pounds over the last year. For a short person like me, 5 pounds is a whole dress size. So that's 3 dress sizes bigger than I was this time last year.
It's time to invest in myself and get back on track.

Motivation

I'm not going to make any excuses. I take full responsibility for the choices that got me here.

Now, I'm ready to make responsible choices that are going to help me revive my formerly healthy self. 
I want to create a healthy lifestyle and regain my fitness. I want to set a good example for my son and live in alignment with my health and wellness values. (I also want my favorite clothes to fit me again!)

Accountability & Support

My health insurance offers a free weight loss program called Real Appeal. I signed up last week and had my first online group coaching session. I'm committed to following the program for the first 16 week season.

The Real Appeal Success Kit

I'm also going to blog about my weight loss journey weekly. I hope many of my friends and family will follow along and help me stay accountable!

Nutrition

I've started tracking my food on MyFitnessPal and Real Appeal. For now, I'm focusing on getting back in the habit of tracking and drinking 8 glasses of water a day. Next, I will shift my focus to staying under my recommended calorie target and making healthier macro- and micronutrient choices. 

Exercise

I'm going to start walking 2-3 days a week. I hope to work up to run/walking again, but I know it's important to start where I'm at.

I'm also looking forward to daily yoga through Yoga With Adriene's 30-day Yoga Journey in January. Last January I joined YWA for her 30-day TRUE journey. This year the theme is DEDICATE. It's a free, at-home practice, and I invite you to check it out here and join me.



See you next week!

7 comments:

  1. planning to lose weight with you, dear niece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so easy to slip off track, and so hard to get back on track, but it sounds like you have a good plan. Count on slip-ups and just keep going back to your plan -- you will reach your goal as long as you keep trying. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent advice, thank you! It's easy for me to fall into "all or nothing" patterns, so being reminded that slips-ups happen and I can just get back on track is so helpful.

      Delete