Saturday, December 29, 2018

Invest in Myself: Week 1

I've completed my first week of "Invest in Myself" (thank you shout out to Debbie for the phrase!)

This phrase says to me that I will receive dividends for spending time & energy on my health & well-being.
Let's review my week...

Motivation

My motivation was high this week, which isn't surprising since it is the beginning of my journey. It's easier to stay motivated in those early days when things are new and different, and the memories of what brought me to the tipping point are still fresh.

I lost 3 pounds (mostly water weight, but I'll take it), so that feels encouraging, too.

Accountability & Support

The outpouring of support from my friends and family has been energizing. People have reminded me that I am strong and told me they believe in me. Others have said they are in the same place and they have been inspired to prioritize their own health.

During this week's Real Appeal online session I signed a commitment contract for the week:

  • Choose a weight loss goal 
  • Identify my daily calorie target level
  • Choose a meal plan
  • Track everything I eat or drink
  • Monitor my progress by weekly weigh-ins and monthly measurements

I've completed the first three tasks and I'm committed to consistently doing the last two on an ongoing basis.

Nutrition

I've been tracking my food consistently this week and discovered that my calcium intake was dismal, so I've added a calcium supplement and started looking for ways to get more calcium from the foods I eat.

I knew I'd be eating at Cooper's Hawk Winery for a family celebration over the weekend, so I found their online nutrition guide to help me plan in advance. Fun fact about CHW - you can get a (single) chocolate covered strawberry or truffle for dessert instead of one of their more calorie-laden options. 

Exercise

I went to three yoga classes and walked twice. I found it was helpful to schedule exercise time on my calendar. I also made workout plans with friends (shout outs to Susan & Laura!); this helped ensure I'd show up and made it more fun, too.

It's been relatively easy to fit in exercise this week since I'm off work for the holidays. Things will be more challenging when I go back to work on January 7.


Looking Ahead

Next week I'm looking forward to walking the Fairfax Four Miler on New Year's Eve and the Commitment Day 5k on New Year's Day. I'm also looking forward to starting Yoga With Adriene's 30-day Yoga Journey DEDICATE on January 2 (welcome video and calendar are below - join me!).



See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment