Saturday, January 5, 2019

Invest in Myself: Week 2

I've completed my second week of "Invest in Myself."

I had a good week, largely due to being on vacation from work and hence having ample time to fit in exercise and plan my meals.

Let's review my week...

Motivation & Accountability

I lost another pound this week, bringing my total weight loss to 4.1 pounds. Ultimately I'd like to lose a total of 10-15 pounds by mid-year. Although it seems like I'm almost halfway there, keep in mind a few of those early pounds that are lost are primarily water weight.

During this week's Real Appeal online session I signed the commitment contract for Week 2:
  • Choose a fitness program and begin following it 
  • Continue healthy habits from last week (weighing in, tracking food, etc.) to the best of my ability
I like that there is a commitment contract each week. It outlines the key actions for the week, and signing it reinforces the commitment I've made to myself.

I took an "activity profile" quiz to help me select a fitness plan. Unsurprisingly to me, I matched the "homebody" profile, meaning I prefer to work out in private. The guide says it's important for homebodies to set up their home for success, so I got my home gym in order:

All set for yoga!

Nutrition

This week I signed up for weekly deliveries from Washington's Green Grocer. Having organic and/or locally grown produce delivered to my house helps me increase my intake of fruit and vegetables.

I customized what was in my order so I only got things I knew I would eat, and added some extra treats like pumpkin seeds, beef jerky, and kombucha. If you want to try them out, use code WGGFRIEND for $10 off your first order (and please use this referral link or enter my name in the referral box).

roasted brussels sprouts, broccoli, & cauliflower


Going back to work next means I will have to do more advance planning and prep for my meals, especially on the days I'm commuting into the city. It also means that I have to monitor my stress level and avoid stress eating.

Exercise

I walked 3 times and did yoga 5 times. Two of my walks were races, which made them especially fun, and all of my walks were done with friends. When it comes to walking or running, the homebody profile doesn't fit as well; I'd rather do them with friends.

New Year's Eve Fairfax Four Miler
Laura, Molly, me, Mechelle (l to r)
Photo by Meaghan Gay/Swim Bike Run Photo (source)

New Year's Day Commitment 5k
My son did this race with me, which was awesome
(he even got me to run most of the last mile)

The Commitment Day 5k Medal - I love the message!

Self-Care

My friends Jen, Lynn, & Marian gave me a gift certificate to Radiance Medspa for my 50th birthday (thank you, ladies!). I used it this week and I got a massage. It felt especially good on all those sore yoga muscles in my shoulders and back.

Nickie, the massage therapist, recommended that I set an alarm on my computer to remind me to take breaks and stretch my neck and shoulders. I've had the stretches below pinned to a bulletin board in my office since 2013 yet I almost never do them.

Related image
Source: MORE magazine, April 2013 
This year, I'm going to set an alarm and start doing them consistently. I think I might use my phone's Headspace alerts as the alarm - I usually get several throughout the workday. Research has shown it's easier to form a habit by tying it to something else you already do habitually (e.g., pause and read the message from Headspace about mindfulness).

Looking Ahead

Next week, my biggest challenge will be going back to work after a delightful two weeks off. Having so much unscheduled time was such a luxury and my Garmin-reported stress level for those days off was so wonderfully low. I commit to:

  • planning and packing my meals for Wednesday & Thursday (my DC days) the night before
  • scheduling my workouts on my calendar
  • doing neck stretches at least once each workday
  • pausing to meditate (or at least take 3 breaths) when I'm feeling stressed at work

See you next week!

2 comments:

  1. Kim sounds like your 2019 is off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, so good! Thanks for stopping by, Deborah. Happy New Year to you :)

      Delete