Saturday, January 12, 2019

Invest in Myself: Week 3

Welcome to the recap of Invest in Myself, Week 3!

Last week I said this week's biggest challenge would be returning to work without losing my focus on good nutrition and exercise.

I maintained my focus, but it required setting aside time to plan/prepare food and to exercise, which cut into my sleep more than I would have liked.

Let's review my week...

Motivation & Accountability

I didn't lose any weight this week, but I did maintain my weight loss to date. My calories in/calories out balance was good, but my average sleep duration for the week was down: 7 hrs, 42 mins vs. 8 hrs, 40 mins for the previous two weeks (Fitbit data), and my stress level crept up with my return to work (Garmin data). I think both sleep and stress impact weight loss efforts.

The big motivational excitement for the week was the arrival of my Real Appeal Success Kit! I felt like it was my birthday as I unpacked all of the goodies inside. It was loaded with tools for success:

  • Progress measurement tools: body weight scale, tape measure
  • Exercise tools: 6 exercise DVDs, pedometer, resistance band
  • Nutrition tools: blender, food scale, portion plate, measuring cups & spoons, water bottle
  • Information guides: nutrition, exercise, session materials for weeks 1-16



During this week's Real Appeal online session we focused on nutrition and I signed the commitment contract for Week 3:
  • Aim to create balanced meals (the portions of protein, healthy fats, whole grains/healthy starch that are right for me)
  • Use tools to determine appropriate portion sizes (e.g., visualize the perfect portion plate, use hands to guesstimate, use measuring cups/spoons/food scale) 
  • Avoid sugary beverages


Nutrition

I've been doing well with my calorie goal and keeping a good balance of carbs/protein/fat. I aim for 40/30/30 (carbs/protein/fat), which works well for me. I also eat six mini-meals a day rather than three larger ones.

I wouldn't be able to eat as healthily as I am without the support of my husband, Rick. He is wonderful! He does our grocery shopping and cooking, making dinners with good proteins, lots of vegetables, and healthy fats like olive oil. My lunches are typically leftovers from dinner.

This week I packed my lunches the night before when I was cleaning up the kitchen after dinner. It makes the task of cleaning take a little more time, but it's totally worth it the next day - having my meals already planned and prepared makes me feel a little bit pampered!


Exercise

Today is day 11 of the 30-day Dedicate Yoga With Adriene Journey. I've been making it to the yoga mat daily, and it's hard to believe we're already 1/3 of the way through.

Scarlett and Rhett have been keeping me company
(Rhett likes to watch Adriene's dog, Benji)

In addition to yoga, I walked 3 times this week: twice with friends, and once on my treadmill. During my treadmill walk, I watched "The Good Place" and "Brooklyn 99" from earlier this week. I rarely have time to watch TV, so being able to do so while on the treadmill is a nice incentive to exercise.

Self-Care

Last week I said I would start doing neck stretches whenever I got a Headspace alert from my phone. The next day, the alerts stopped working! Fortunately, they updated the app a couple of days later and fixed it. So my consistent stretching got off to a bumpy start, but it's going well now.

I've started using a balance ball for my desk chair at home, which helps me work my core and be a little more active on the days I'm telecommuting. At work, I have a standing desk which I had gotten a little lax about using. I've made a point to start using it again.

Looking Ahead

Next week, I've got a couple of particularly challenging days - Wednesday and Saturday.

On Wednesday, I have:
  • a lunch meeting at a Greek restaurant with no nutrition information (I'm getting the seared salmon), followed by...
  • my office's monthly birthday/work anniversary celebration (usually involves cupcakes - I'm going to bring my own treat...also, I'm celebrating my 19th anniversary at work!), followed by...
  • a dinner meeting at Panera (my go-to there is 1/2 of the lentil quinoa broth bowl with chicken and an apple)

On Saturday, I have:
  • an event at Jammin' Java where my son's band is performing a song (maybe chicken balsamic salad with dressing on the side), followed by...
  • my son's birthday party (pizza and cake - bring my own snack?) 

I can handle these challenges!

See you next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment