Sunday, November 6, 2016

Comeback Race Success

Lynn, Jen & me - ready to race after checking our bags 
Mentally, I had a lot riding on last week's MCM 10K.

I'm pleased to report that I successfully completed the race with no pain in my hallux-rigidus-riddled big toe.

After many months of not being able to run (sometimes even walk) without pain, this is a huge milestone for me. And a huge relief.

While it was pain-free, it was quite humbling. My pace per mile for 6.2 miles was 14:43. Compare this to one year ago - 26.2 miles at a pace of 13:02.

But my pace isn't my focus. The fact that I was able to run at all is my focus. In a race where you are surrounded by runners on blades and runners in handcycles - even by a paralyzed runner in an exoskeleton - it isn't too hard to maintain that focus.

I crossed the 10K finish line next to
two handcycle racers crossing the marathon finish line (source)

  • Thank you to Lynn and Jen who encouraged me to sign up for this race and shared the race day experiences with me. 
  • Thank you to Susan who came out to cheer for us and helped me refocus when I lost sight of what was important. 
  • Thank you to Melissa & the Vienna MRTT crew who stayed at their marathon cheering post through the 10K runners. 
  • Thank you to Molly who told me about her Army Ten-Miler starting line thoughts to help me put my MCM 10K starting line fears into perspective.
  • Thank you to everyone who has helped me through this challenging experience. I am grateful to have such supportive friends!

A gift from Jen (will an assist from Lynn)

1 comment:

  1. I got here much interesting stuff. The post is great! Thanks for sharing it! Samsbeauty coupon

    ReplyDelete