Saturday, March 18, 2017

A Special Lucky Leprechaun 5K

photo courtesy of Potomac River Running
Although I hadn't planned on running any races until I had rebuilt some of my lost endurance and speed, the Lucky Leprechaun 5K presented me with an opportunity I couldn't refuse.

I had the opportunity to run with a friend and experience her first 5K through her eyes.

Stage 1: Precontemplation

I have been running with Min for the past couple of months with the =PR= Training Program for the Credit Union Cherry Blossom 10 Mile Run. At first I assumed she was running the 10 Mile Run (like most of the runners in our program), but it turned out she was a beginner runner and had no plans to run any race

Stage 2: Contemplation

During our runs, we talked about Min running a 5K "someday." To her, someday was far away. She had no confidence in her running ability and wasn't ready.

Stage 3: Preparation

Soon, however, Min started asking about 5K races in our area. When were they? What were they like? 

She seemed ready to consider a real race, but was worried she wouldn't be able to finish. I pointed out to her that we ran at least a 5K together every week. 

She was worried she would be last. I told her there were walkers who participated in the =PR= Races, and she would be ahead of them based on the pace of our weekly runs. She said she would think about it.

Stage 4: Action

Coach Shannon suggested Min run the Lucky Leprechaun 5K, which was practically the same time and location as our weekly training runs. I told Min I would run with her if she signed up. She committed to the race.

The Race!

Min was a mix of excitement and anxiety at the start line. I told her to just focus on having fun, that I would be with her every step of the way.

(can you find us?)
photo courtesy of Potomac River Running


She smiled for most of the race. About halfway through she said, "We're not last! We're in the middle!" 

photo courtesy of Potomac River Running


She ran a strong, consistent pace, and crossed the finish line with joy

photo courtesy of Potomac River Running


Afterwards, she received a "My First 5K" medal ("My First 5K" is a special category in many =PR= races) and beamed with pride. 


Later she told me that she had a wonderful experience for her first 5K. I'm so glad I could share it with her. I had a wonderful experience, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment