Saturday, February 16, 2019

Invest in Myself: Week 8

Welcome to the recap of Invest in Myself, Week 8!

Week 8 marks the halfway point of the first "season" of Real Appeal. When I began this journey, I committed to following at least the first 16 weeks.

Let's review my week...

Motivation & Accountability

I've been at a weight loss plateau for the past two weeks, which probably signals that I'm not exercising enough. In particular, I know that I need to add strength training back into my routine. Mentally I've been resisting it, and I'm not sure why. 

During this week's Real Appeal online session we focused on stress. I filled out a chart with my top sources of stress and identified ways to address each of them. I also thought about the unhealthy ways I cope with stress (eating junk food, playing Two Dots on my phone), and committed to avoiding them.

Key stress takeaways:
  • I may not be in control of my source of stress, but I am in control of my response to it
  • If something isn't in my control, it will help to reframe it and let it go

Nutrition

I had a solid week in the nutrition category. I continued to plan meals ahead of time and stick to my plan. I've even resisted the Girl Scout cookies that are in our house. The fact that I'm doing so well with eating, but at a weight loss plateau, emphasizes that I need to put more effort into exercise.

Exercise

I walked four times this week and did yoga twice. I think that's the most I've walked in a week since I started this program. I even did a little bit of running during one of those walks. I'm going to continue to walk (and run a little?) 2-3 times each week, and I'm going to add at least one strength training workout a week. 

During Saturday's walk with Reston Runners
we picked up trash along the W&OD Trail

Self-Care

My favorite self-care activity this week was a yoga and tea meditation, led by Gretchen Schutte at Elden Street Tea Shop. It was very grounding and calming. I chose "Yogi's Tonic" loose leaf tea and really enjoyed it. I don't remember exactly what was in it, but I do remember fennel and chamomile.

A little snack to go with our tea

I got a lot of decluttering done this week, which feels really good. I moved our LEGO city down to the basement, reclaiming the dining room table. It makes me happy to see the city when I'm walking down the stairs (and I like having the table back).




Looking Ahead

Next week looks really busy, with very little open space on my calendar. Having too much to do - at work and at home - is one of the things that stresses me out.

I'll need to look for things I can eliminate or delay. Saying "no" is one of the strategies to combat stress, and one I need to work on!

I'm also going to put exercise on my calendar so it isn't a casualty of my overscheduled week. I'll need to say no to something else, because exercise is a priority and I'm going to be intentional with my time.



See you next week!

2 comments:

  1. Love all the things (but especially the lego city!) and the focus on saying no. Yes, yes, and yes to creating space for what truly feels important and nourishing. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the reinforcement and support, Elena! You are such a good life coach :)

      Delete