Saturday, June 22, 2019

Invest in Myself: Week 26

Welcome to the recap of Invest in Myself, Week 26.

I've been "investing in myself" for 6 months! I've accomplished a lot in 26 weeks, and I'm proud of myself. I'm looking forward to the next 26 weeks!

Let's review my week...

Motivation & Accountability

I gained a little weight this week, but I'm not going to beat myself up over it. I know where I slipped and I know what to do to get back on track.

For week 26 of the Real Appeal program we focused on meal planning. I'm really fortunate when it comes to meal planning - Rick handles this for our family and making healthy choices comes naturally to him.



Nutrition

I was careless with my food choices this week and it showed on the scale. I felt stressed at work and resorted to emotional eating to deal with it.

I told myself it was okay because I was still tracking everything, but if I'm honest with myself, I wasn't measuring portion sizes when I took a "small handful" of nuts or "a couple of bites" of ice cream or "just a few sips" of the root beer my son left on the counter, and the portion sizes that I tracked were surely underestimates because I didn't want to admit to myself how much I was eating.

This is 1/2 ounce of mixed nuts (95 calories).
I had a lot of small handfuls this week...

It's a new week and today is a "bounce back" day when I am getting back on track.


Exercise

I ran twice and walked once. This morning I paced a group of women in the Seize the Day 5k. It's so inspiring to see people accomplishing the goals they set out to achieve. I'm a little sad the Women's Training Program is over (and a lot sad that I'll miss the celebration party on Monday night), but I've signed up for Reston Runners' 10 Weeks to 10k program, so I'll still have Monday night runs with a lot of these women to look forward to next month!

"Flat Kim" ready for the race

Seize the Day 5k Women's Training Program group photo
participants in blue, coaches in green
photo by Brian Kent (source)

Self-Care

I didn't make time for self care this week, which probably contributed to the overwhelming stress I found myself experiencing throughout the week. Lesson learned: don't underestimate the importance of self-care! 


Looking Ahead

I'll be in Pittsburgh for four days next week for work. It will be the longest business trip I've ever had. It won't be particularly conducive to healthy eating or exercising, but I'm going to do my best to make good choices, track those choices honestly, and do some yoga in my room in the evenings before bed.

I'll be there with my colleague Virginia and I've told her about my plans to help keep me accountable. I also upgraded both my flights to first class to minimize stress and ensure a little self-care on both ends of my trip.

See you next week! 

2 comments:

  1. what clear and effective communication you are making. I'm resisting urge to go to week one and begin a more methodical discovery of your program--to just get me in the grove of your self-care reality and amp up my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to read all of the weeks...you know what to do to take care of yourself without reading my whole journey. Cheers to taking care of yourself and reclaiming your health!

      Delete