Sunday, June 7, 2020

I Am Part of the Problem...


...and I want to be part of the solution. 


I recognize that striving to be non-racist is not enough. I need to strive to be anti-racist.

I recognize that I benefit from white privilege, and I need to leverage that privilege to support those that are disadvantaged by it.

I recognize that I have unintentionally caused microaggressions, and that my good intentions aren't relevant. Only the experience and feelings of the other person are relevant.

I recognize that I need to bear witness to the experience of those who are discriminated against and advocate for that experience to be changed.


  • George Floyd, I see you
  • Breonna Taylor, I see you
  • Ahmaud Arbery, I see you
  • My friend who was pointedly ignored at the deli counter, I see you
  • My friend whose colleagues said (through a bizarre workplace award) that your black life didn't matter, I see you
  • My friend who approached his childhood crush at a dance and saw her snatched away by her father while he warned your mother to keep you away from his daughter, I see you
  • My friend who grew up knowing and trusting police officers and was threatened by one with being arm barred against your car at a football game just for being friendly, I see you
  • My friend who discovered a white man asserting his privilege over your home's front stoop on a near daily basis, I see you 
  • I recognize this list is just a drop in the bucket. Many of these friends have been sharing stories of systemic racism for years. I'm deeply sorry that I haven't been an active witness to your pain and advocate for change.

I recognize that I need to become more educated.


I recognize that local elections are especially critical. It's not enough for me to educate myself and vote. I can help others learn about the issues and get to the polls (or absentee ballots). I can voice my opinions to my elected officials. 

I recognize that I can donate money to organizations that are fighting racism.

I recognize that I need to become comfortable with being uncomfortable.


I am part of the problem. I pledge to be part of the solution.


No comments:

Post a Comment