Saturday, July 18, 2015

MCM Training Week 5

Today I finished week 5 of Marine Corps Marathon training. Week 5 began the second base training block, so I'm heading into more volume and longer distances.

Realistic Scheduling

Getting those longer runs in during the week is going to be one of my biggest challenges. I'm having to take an honest look at my calendar and cut out anything that isn't essential. Family, work, training, sleep. There isn't time for much else right now! I am saying no often and keeping my priorities top of mind.

Only 99 days until MCM! (source)

Heart Rate Monitor

I've finally sorted out the issues with my heart rate monitor. I swapped out both the transmitter and the strap and my numbers look accurate again. I also got a Fitbit Charge HR this week. I thought it would be interesting to compare the chest strap heart rate data with the heart rate data from my wrist.

For today's long run, the wrist data was at least 20 beats per minute higher than the strap data, sometimes more. Given the level of effort I was exerting, I think the strap was closer to reality. My main takeaway from all of this is that I'm not ready to switch to training by heart rate. I'm sticking with effort for now.

Week 5 Statistics

I ran 4 times for a total of 22.8 miles.
  • Track: 3 sets of 800 @ T pace, 400 walk, 400 hard, w/ 4 min rest between sets (4.3 miles)
    • Hard effort is around 5k pace - faster than threshold (T), but not all out
    • I did well at hitting my pace targets & I'm really enjoying the speed work
  • Easy runs: 3.0 and 5.0 miles
    • I ran the 3.0 during my son's track practice - a creative exercise window (thank you Jamie for the suggestion!)
    • The 5.0 was also creative - I went to the PR Thursday night fun run early to get some extra miles in before the fun run 
  • Long run: 10.5 miles 
    • I ran a 13:37 pace; very close to my 13:50 target
  • Strength training: 3 times (my routine)
  • Yoga: a few poses during the week, but no formal practice. 
Onward to Week 6!

Read about previous training weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment