Training BlocksThis week completes my first "base" training block. This block didn't feel different from half marathon training in terms of volume and distance. The next five weeks will be my second base training block, and it will start to feel different. I'll run distances that are farther than a half marathon (new "longest run" records on my Garmin!) and increase the duration of one of my mid-week runs.
Heart Rate Monitor
My heart rate information continues to be strange and there is no pattern to when it works or how it malfunctions. I've been doing some diagnostics to figure out where the problem is and I can't isolate it. There are basically three things that could be problematic:
- the transmitter
- the electrode strap
- the Garmin
Three of my MCM training buddies are no longer planning to run MCM for various medical reasons. I'm disappointed for each of them, sad I won't be training with them, bummed we won't share the MCM marathon experience with each other as fellow runners. I am also that much more grateful that I am able to run and to take on this challenge at this time.
Week 4 Statistics
I ran 4 times for a total of 16.2 miles.
- Track: 2400 at T pace, 4 min rest, 6x200 at Econ effort w/ 200 jog recovery (3.7 miles)
- Econ effort is running hard while maintaining good form
- I did well at hitting my T pace target
- Easy runs: 3.4 and 3.1 miles
- Long run: 6 miles
- Relatively short because it is a recovery week
- I ran a little faster (13:20) than I should be (13:50), but improved over last week's way-too-fast 12:50
- I remember when it was a big deal that I ran 7 miles, and now 6 miles seems so short!
- Strength training: 3 times (my routine)
- Yoga: 2 times
Onward to Week 5 and the start of Base Block #2!
Read about previous training weeks: