Saturday, June 27, 2015

MCM Training Week 2

Week 2 of Marine Corps Marathon training went well despite lots of rain and thunderstorm challenges.

Old Shoes

I had some runs where I felt weak and just "off" - I think it may have been my shoes, which have just over 300 miles on them. I am retiring them, and bought a new pair to rotate with my other shoes, which have 120 miles on them.

Slower Long Run

I ran my long run slower than I have been, which kept me (mostly) in heart rate zones 1 and 2, where I need to be to teach my body to burn fat more effectively, which will help protect against hitting the wall because I ran out of glycogen stores.

Pep Talks

Coaches Jodi, Shannon, and Mike each gave me a helpful pep talk about my training and goals. Connecting with my coaches when I have self-doubt is reassuring.

Week 2 Statistics

I ran 5 times for a total of 17.9 miles:
  • Track: 6x400 w/ 2 minutes rest (2 miles). 
    • Short workout because thunderstorms delayed the start by 70 minutes. 
    • I'm really proud to have persevered and gotten at least the minimum workout in.
  • Easy runs: 3.1, 2.8, and 3 miles
  • Long run: 7 miles
  • Strength training: 3 times
  • Yoga: one practice session at home

My yoga practice
(source: Moms Run This Town)

Onward to Week 3!

Read about previous training weeks

2 comments: