Sunday, April 5, 2020

from Survive to Thrive: Week 22

Welcome to from Survive to Thrive: Week 22.

If I'm being honest, this week often felt more like surviving than thriving. The uncertainty and loss of control in our COVID-19 world is getting to me. I had a major meltdown on Friday, but I'm building resilience and bouncing back.

Let's review my week...


Melting Down

I'm not going to dwell on this, but everything we've been dealing with these past few weeks finally got to me on Friday. I cried, I felt hopeless, and I was an irritable b!tch. While I know this is a completely understandable reaction, I also feel frustrated with myself for feeling this way. My family is safe and healthy. I have a job that allows me to work at home. We have what we need. There are so many people who are dealing with illness, death, unemployment, a lack of basic life necessities.

seen on a walk...beauty coming out of the cracks


Front Steps Project

My friend Janet is a photographer and is doing something cool to help raise money for Britepaths, an organization that is helping local families get through this crisis. She comes to your house and takes a photo of your family in front of your home (staying at least 10 feet away) in exchange for a donation to Britepaths.



Virtual Race

Today was supposed to be the day of the Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run. My training was going well and I was confident that I would be able to run the race. I'm sad that the training program and the race were both cancelled due to COVID-19.

The race implemented a virtual run, which I did this morning. I opted for the 5k option rather than 10 miles. It felt bittersweet and empowering at the same time. We have a 1k loop in front of our house which I ran 5 times. Rick sat out on the porch and cheered for me with each loop, and Freddy came out for the finish line.



Looking Ahead

This upcoming week was supposed to be spring break, and I had a staycation planned. Even though it will be a little different than I had envisioned, I'm still taking my spring break staycation. I think the time off from work will help me replenish my resilience and rebuild my sense of structure.

My goals for the week are:
  1. Declutter/organize a little bit each day
  2. Do yoga every day
  3. Run/walk with my son 4-5 times 
  4. Connect with family and friends by text/email/phone during the week
  5. Prepare for "distance learning" which starts for the kids on 4/14

See you next week! 

________________________________________

Accountability: Health Stats

average steps: 6,108
average sleep: 9h 3m
average stress: 23
run/walk: 8.3 miles
yoga: 8 sessions
weight: 116.0
body fat 29.2%

Accountability: Goal Check

Goal: Put on makeup / nicer clothes M-F when I'm working
Status: Achieved! I think this helped me differentiate my work time from my personal time.

Goal: Do yoga 4-5 times
Status: Achieved! I did yoga every day (and twice on Saturday!)

Goal: Run/walk with my son 4-5 times
Status: Achieved!

Goal: Connect with family and friends by text/email/phone during the week
Status: Achieved!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Kim,

    Your candidness in sharing your emotions is such a gift. Your writing connects with so many of us at so many levels. Yes, very trying and emotionally overwhelming times for us all. Thank you for sharing how you overcome and bounce back to life...very inspiring!
    Thank you again and God bless your beautiful family!
    Love, Taruna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Taruna, for such kind words. It was heartwarming to see you today when we were out walking. Stay safe and healthy! Hugs to you.

      Delete