Sunday, April 12, 2020

from Survive to Thrive: Week 23

Welcome to from Survive to Thrive: Week 23.

My staycation was joyful and rejuvenating, filled with yoga & walks, coloring, LEGO, and connection with family & friends.

Let's review my week...


High School Reunions

I got joy this week from high school reunions - one from the present and one from the past.

From the present...last night I attended a Zoom reunion that my brother organized with his high school friends. Since everyone typically hung out at our house during high school, they are my friends, too. Fun fact - my brother was in the first graduating class of the Thomas Jefferson High School and Technology. Catching up with everyone was really fun.

Zoom Reunion of the "Emporium" 

From the past...in 2017 I attended Edison High School's 30th reunion. I laughed so hard that night with Beth (Bondurant) Queen and Derek Stepp that my core muscles hurt. One of the things that made us laugh that night was the picture below. It was supposed to be a typical smiling snapshot, and we didn't realize that there were lasers flashing around the room until we looked at the photo on my phone. After reading my meltdown blog post from last week, Beth reached out to say hello, remind me of how much fun we had at the reunion, and send me the infamous picture that still makes us laugh out loud today. Thank you, my friend!

When green lasers attack...

Wellness

I did so much yoga this week during my staycation - it was wonderful! I did at least two sessions each day (Kassandra's morning yoga series and Adriene's yoga ritual series), and a couple of days I added a yin session in the evening. It definitely helped me feel more grounded and tranquil.

Scarlett usually did yoga with me

I walked with my son every day except for Friday. I also signed up for Potomac River Running's virtual Mother's Day 4-Miler. It's one of my favorite races and I want to support Potomac River Running during this time when many local businesses are struggling. If you want to support them, you can shop online or take advantage of their concierge service. And apparently I'm good at virtual races...even though my virtual Cherry Blossom 5k time was nothing to write home about, I actually came in 3rd in my age group!

3rd (out of 10) in my age group!

I reached out to a therapist I've worked with in the past and had an online therapy session on Thursday morning which was helpful for my state of mind.

Play

LEGO continues to be an activity of choice for both my son and me. I finished the small Hogwarts Clock Tower while Freddy is working on the Disney Castle.



I've also been coloring while listening to audio books, which I find relaxing and entertaining.

I finished this (color-by-number) mandala this week




Looking Ahead

My staycation is over and I go back to work (at home) tomorrow. I'm keeping in mind how lucky I am to have a job that I can do at home and that our leadership really cares about our well being during this stressful time.

My goals for the week are:
  1. Put on make-up/nicer clothes when I'm working M-F
  2. Do yoga every day
  3. Run/walk with my son 4-5 times 
  4. Connect with family and friends by text/email/phone during the week

See you next week! 

________________________________________

Accountability: Health Stats

average steps: 6,242
average sleep: 9h 36m
average stress: 20
run/walk: 5.0 miles
yoga: 16 sessions
weight: 116.0
body fat 29.2%

Accountability: Goal Check

Goal: Declutter/organize a little bit each day
Status: Achieved! It wasn't quite as satisfying without the ability to get donations out of the house, but I've got boxes ready to go when the time is right. I also purged and shredded a lot of paperwork, which was very satisfying.

Goal: Do yoga every day
Status: (Over)Achieved!

Goal: Run/walk with my son 4-5 times
Status: Achieved! We walked 5 times

Goal: Connect with family and friends by text/email/phone during the week
Status: Achieved!

Goal: Prepare for "distance learning" which starts for the kids on 4/14
Status: Achieved! We made a schedule for Freddy and attended virtual back-to-school night on Friday evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment