Saturday, March 16, 2019

Invest in Myself: Week 12

Welcome to the recap of Invest in Myself, Week 12.

This week had its share of emotional highs and lows. I stayed on track for the most part, but I'm feeling the weight of the lows right now.

Let's review my week...

Motivation & Accountability

I lost 0.7 pounds this week and my body fat is continuing to decrease. I've lost a total of 8.7 pounds and my clothes are fitting so much better.

During this week's Real Appeal online session we learned about weight loss plateaus. When I hit a plateau, it's often because I've gotten a little lax about tracking food (e.g., I don't need to write down this little bite...) or I'm not making the time to exercise. It's important to figure out why and recommit to my plan.


Nutrition

I learned a healthy and cost-effective trick when we ordered food from our favorite Chinese restaurant last week. I was having trouble finding a healthy option, so I decided I would just order a side of broccoli and combine it with some leftover chicken from our refrigerator. When I selected the broccoli, a customization menu popped up. It turns out you can add all sorts of things - like chicken - to the broccoli for a nominal fee ($1). So I can get a single serving, no sauce, chicken and broccoli for just a few dollars!

We had a "high tea" at work to wish "bon voyage" to a colleague who is leaving to go to the UK. I used all my willpower to resist the delicious treats and only had a cup of tea. Of course, my willpower was all gone by the time I got home and I ended up having a tagalong cookie and some of my son's macaroni and cheese with dinner, but I tracked them both and didn't let it become a calorie free-for-all.

This was hard to resist!


Exercise

This was a week of quality rather than quantity - two strength training sessions and one run/walk. I think strength training is one of the most effective exercise choices for me right now. I don't love doing it, but I do love the results.

One of my high points this week was reintroducing some running into my walk. I was able to run much more than I thought I would be able to, which was really exciting. I've missed running and the camaraderie of my running community.


Self-Care

As I noted in my intro, it's been a rollercoaster week of emotions. There were highs (running again! watching my son's band perform!) and lows (a treasured colleague is leaving, our credit card was closed for attempted fraud, my cat is starting to show symptoms from his cancer). I've just tried to ride it out and feel my feelings (instead of eating them).


Looking Ahead

My schedule for the upcoming week looks pretty good.

I suspect that fretting over my cat's health could be a challenge this week. He is a wonderful cat, and I'm grateful that he has thrived for so long since his initial cancer diagnosis, which was an amazing 3 years and 4 months ago. I will focus on the the good and get in extra kitty cuddles.


See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment