Friday, December 26, 2014

DIY: Sparkly Pink Running Tiara

Does your inner princess long to bring some sparkly fancy to the running trail? Well, it is easier than you think. I am not Martha Stewart. I am perhaps the opposite of Martha Stewart. But with some tips from my buddy Jane, I am helping a whole posse of princesses sparkle on the trails of Reston. (And if I can do it, you can do it!)

You Will Need:

  • Foam Tiaras
  • Dimensional Fabric Paint

Foam Tiaras

My running buddy Jane guided me to the pink sparkle tiara by Creatology that is sold at Michaels. Inexplicably, this foam creation is comfortable for running (especially if worn on a hat or visor, although I ran Philly Half with just the tiara), and the stretchy cord makes it a custom fit.

Pink foam tiaras are sold at Michaels
individually (in-store) and
in packs of 6 (online & in-store)

If you aren't into pink, head over to Consumer Crafts where you can find some other sparkly colors:

Consumer Crafts also sells white, purple, gold, & silver tiaras

Dimensional Fabric Paint

It is key to select a color of dimensional fabric paint that will show up on your tiara. For the pink tiaras, silver glitter dimensional fabric paint by Tulip is gorgeous. I picked mine up at Michaels

Tulip Glitter Dimensional Fabric Paint in Silver

What To Do:

Shake the paint well. It comes out the tip like a pen, but can get globby if too much comes out at once. Plan ahead before you start writing on the tiara - there isn't much space on there! Short names fit on the top, but longer names need to go along the band on the bottom. I found it helpful to keep an orange wood stick nearby to smooth out globs. The paint goes on white, but dries to a glittery silver finish.

When you are done personalizing the tiara, put it someplace where it can dry for four hours undisturbed.

Tiaras laid out to dry.
Notice how "Kim" fits easily on the top;
"Shannon" required more space and creativity!

Final step - put on your tiara and practice running with your regal wave. Run Happy!

With Jane after the Nike Women's Half Marathon.
She introduced me to the sparkly pink tiara as running accessory!

No comments:

Post a Comment