Sunday, June 8, 2014

You Are Just One Good Day Away From Happy!

It's been a challenging couple of weeks. I've had lots of business travel. My time for family and exercise has been squeezed significantly. I've been out of any semblance of routine, which makes me cranky. Yesterday I was really starting to feel it - I hadn't run in 8 days. I was beginning to worry that my next run would be really bad - short, slow, definitely not triumphant. I was so worried that I subconsciously managed to fill the day and not find time for that next run. I knew I had to turn it around today and I put out the call for some running company on Sunday, knowing my run would definitely happen if I had committed to others that I would show up.

Laura and Karen answered the call and agreed to meet me at 8 am for a run. This literally made my heart happy! In the morning we all shared some ambivalence about our anticipated performance. We didn't set a goal for time or distance, just decided to set out and see how it went. Having company is great - we talked about our goal races for the summer and fall and our excitement over Potomac River Running's Distance Training Program kicking off next week. We are all signed up and Laura is even going to be an official DTP volunteer! We entertained and supported each other through 6 miles with just a short walk break after 4. My next run was triumphant after all...never listen to that critic in your mind.


Karen, me, & Laura at 3 miles

And my day got even better after that! Freddy and I went to the "Love Your Body" yoga festival in Reston Town Center which was relaxing, rejuvenating and fun! Freddy loved the kids tent, participating in craft projects with help from our friend Ipsita and finally caving in to join a kids' yoga class. 


Creating a "Sun Salutation" Sun


"I'll do it if I don't have to take off my shoes, Mommy"

We ran into so many friends at the festival - Rachel, Laura, Phyllis, and Aylene. We also spent some time at the Health Advantage Yoga Center tent. I was really impressed with the way they interacted with Freddy. They had glass stones and shells and white paper for creative play. Freddy ended up making pictures of Elmo, Cookie Monster, and Zoe with glass stones. I don't know where the inspiration came from, but the creativity was so fun to watch.


Putting the final touches on Zoe


I capped the active portion of the day off with a Yin Yoga class at my gym. It was focused on hip opening exercises, which really hit the spot after the morning's run. And the class closed with a delightful surprise - while we were in final relaxation, our teacher had gifted each of us with a rose, just because.


So yesterday I was cranky & anxious, and letting my mind play tricks on me. But you are just one good day away from happy. Reframe your outlook and find the joy in your next day.



6 comments:

  1. WTG for getting back out there! :) I'll see you at the PRR Reston Long Distance Training program! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy! So glad that you are doing DTP with PRR :)

      Delete
  2. Inspiring words. Good for you! I thought about our walk in Montreal and worked out this morning at 5:30 a.m. I just knew you'd be proud of me...heck, I'm proud of myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so grateful for our walk in Montreal! Other than racking up steps in the airport, it was the only exercise I got last week. Good for you for working out today in San Diego! I'm proud of you.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes all it takes is a run with friends to get your mojo back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Deborah! Thank you for helping to make sure I had Sunday morning friends to run with :-)

      Delete