Thursday, May 5, 2016

Shoe Reviews: Alegria

Challenge

I'm in search of toe-friendly shoes; it is a delicate balance of looks and function. My criteria:
  • a wide toe box 
  • supportive, especially under my big toe
  • stylish enough for work (or play)
  • small enough for my size 4.5 feet


The Brand: Alegria

Alegria was one of the top brands in my search.  They are especially well-suited for people with hallux ridigus with their wide toe box and rocker soles. And if that wasn't enough to intrigue me, their backstory really resonated with me:
"Alegria by PG Lite started with a simple idea in mind - to create a comfortable shoe with personality and brightness that invoke happiness. We bring that concept to life by designing shoes using rich supple leathers and vivid prints and then pairing each distinctive creation with our specially formulated patented footbed."
They also have an awesome tagline:
"Alegria by PG Lite - This is What Happy Looks Like"

Style

Alegria has 224 unique style/color combinations of women's shoes listed on Zappos.com. The vast majority of them are clogs/mules or sandals.
  • Clogs & Mules (120)
  • Sandals (78)
  • Sneakers & Athletic Shoes (11)
  • Heels (6)
  • Loafers (6) 
  • Oxfords (3)


Size

Sizes range from 4.5-12 (US sizing) or 34-42 (European sizing); both M/B and W/D widths are available.

Price

Prices on Zappos.com range from $100 to $130

Shoes

I tried three styles of clogs/mules (Paloma, Paloma Pro and Keli) and one style of heels (Ella).

Paloma - $120

Paloma is a funky mary jane style with a wide toe box, good arch support, a rocker sole, and an adjustable velcro strap. They are definitely unique in appearance but would work in a professional environment that isn't too conservative. I ordered the smallest size, 35, which is described as equivalent to US 5-5.5.  Although they were too big for my feet, I discovered that a related model, the Paloma Pro, goes one size smaller and is available in a 34. 

Paloma in "Totally Cellular" - funky & fun


Paloma Pro - $130

The Paloma Pro looks just like the Paloma - I have no idea what the difference is other than $10 and the option of a size 34 (US 4-4.5). Whatever the difference may be, it fit beautifully and I was thrilled to have found it.

Paloma Pro in "Wine Fleur"

A closer look at the rocker soles - very toe-friendly

They fit!
(Freddy says they are "not at all pretty" - what does he know?)

The "wine fleur" Paloma Pros are pretty tame from a design perspective. Alegrias come in all sorts fun patterns - google them and take a look! You'll be amazed. Most of those fun patterns don't come in my size, but I do have a super cute design coming tomorrow - the "button up":

source

Keli - $120

Keli is one of the other styles that actually comes in a size 34. Keli is a professional-looking clog. I think this is a popular shoe for nurses; it comes in everything from a plain white to some really fun and colorful patterns.The Keli fit well and was very comfortable. Another keeper! I am currently successfully fighting the urge to buy another pair in a cute pattern...   

Keli in "Night Rosette"



Ella - $130

Alegria has a couple of styles of heels, and I tried Ella in size 35 at the same time that I was trying the size 35 Paloma. Like the Paloma, they were too big. Alegria's heels don't seem to come in size 34, so my search for a toe-friendly heel will continue.

Ella in "Wine Rosette"


Verdict

Success! I now have a couple of pairs of shoes that I can wear to work, and a brand that I can turn to in the future. Yes Alegria, this is what happy looks like. Thank you! 

Questions:
  • Have you tried Alegria shoes? What did you think?
  • What other brands do you recommend?

No comments:

Post a Comment