"Simplify" works for a variety situations for me and can be used as a guiding principle for me this year:
- Declutter. I've got so much stuff in my life, my house, my head. Pare it back, clear it out.
- Say No. Part of that clutter comes from accepting too much into my life and onto my plate. Just say no.
- Be Present. I have a tendency to multi-task, zone-out, and miss out. Focus on the moment.
"Simplify" also applies to my race calendar this year. I love looking at my 2014 race calendar on the side of my blog and feel reluctant to retire this year's accomplishments. I ran a lot of races, I set PRs, I conquered new distances...I had a lot of fun! My full 2014 race calendar with recap links is below:
- 01/01 - Commitment Day 5k
- 02/09 - Run Your Heart Out 5k
- 04/06 - Cherry Blossom 10-Miler
- 04/27 - Nike Women's Half Marathon
- 05/11 - Mother's Day 4-Miler
- 06/15 - Run With Dad 5k
- 06/21 - Fit Foodie Fun 5k
- 06/21 - Twilight Festival 4-Miler (1-mile)
- 06/28 - Women's Distance Festival 5k
- 07/13 - Birthday Bash 5k
- 08/24 - South Lakes 10k
- 09/12 - Divas DC 5k
- 09/28 - Perfect 10 (10k)
- 10/12 - Army Ten Miler
- 11/08 - Mustache Mile
- 11/09 - Across the Bay 10k
- 11/23 - Philadelphia Half Marathon
- 12/07 - Run With Santa 5k
- 12/31 - Fairfax Four Miler
For 2015, however, I need to simplify. As tempting as it is to fill out the calendar, I am staying focused, limiting commitments, and keeping it simple. For now, I am only committed to, and registered for, a single race - the Cherry Blossom 10-Miler. I will certainly run other races this year, but I want to be mindful about what I add to the schedule. Simplify!