Race Course & PlansI am splitting the race into four parts in my mind:
- Course: Straight & flat to start. Love Park, Chinatown, Waterfront.
- Fuel: Water stations at 2 & 3.5; take a gel around Mile 4.
- Plan: Don't start out too fast. Warm up, notice the sights.
- Course: Great crowd support. Independence Hall & Liberty Bell.
- Fuel: Water stations at 5 & 7. Stay hydrated.
- Plan: Find a groove. Enjoy the sights & crowd.
- Course: Hardest stretch - Miles 8 & 10 are each steady uphills. Zoo at Mile 9.
- Fuel: Water stations at 8 & 9.8 (Clif Shots here); take a gel around Mile 8.
- Plan: Anticipate the hills. Focus on maintaining effort, not pace.
- Course: Quiet section, could be windy by the river. Art Museum(!) at finish.
- Fuel: Water station at 11; take a gel around Mile 11.
- Plan: Pick up the pace. Don't sprint too early, the crowd noise can fool you.
|Elevation profile for the half marathon|
- A Goal: finish faster than 2:45
- B Goal: finish faster than 2:50:27 (Nike Women's Half Marathon time)
- C Goal: enjoy the race