Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Signs Point to Yes?!

I've had kind of a crazy whirlwind afternoon that I never would have anticipated this morning. Long story short...I might be running my first marathon this year. Read on for the longer version...


People often ask me when I am going to run a marathon. I tell them I have no plans to do so, I'm not even sure it's on my bucket list. That I don't have the time to train for it, maybe when Freddy is older I'll think about it. And I believed that. I had no twinges or doubts when I said it. My co-workers reminded me that I just said this yesterday when we were taking a prospective colleague out to lunch.

Then, today, the stars aligned to show me a path I didn't even know I wanted to be on. It was kismet. Here is what happened:

  • Our staff meeting ended a few minutes early, and I was extra hungry, so I got my salad out of the fridge and took a mental break to read Running Lonely's Imaginary Tour of Runner's World (you should go read this after finishing my blog post - it's really, really good).
  • Not only was the blog post good, but the comments were exciting! Bart Yasso had seen the post and wanted to invite Running Lonely (aka Marsden) to visit the Runner's World Campus! I headed over to twitter to send Marsden a congratulatory message.
  • I sent the message and then noticed this tweet from Marsden:
  • I glanced at the clock - it was 12:00 exactly - registration had just opened! Like a pavlovian dog, I clicked the link.
  • What happened next is kind of a blur. I checked the date of the race, confirmed that 17.75k is 11 miles and in-line with my Cherry Blossom training, and had a flash of  "I really want to do this!" that seemed genuine rather than pavlovian. 
  • I started filling out forms and clicking continue, knowing I was unlikely to get in and it would sell out almost immediately. I had flashbacks to how impossible it was to register Rick for MCM in 2013. And yet, it was smooth, and quick, and by 12:04 I had my confirmation email. By 12:08 it was sold out.
  • And then the reality started to set in for me - finishing the MCM 17.75 gives you guaranteed entry to the 40th Marine Corps Marathon on October 25, 2015! How do you pass that up?!

I'm still thinking about it, weighing the possibility in my mind. And for the first time, I'm really, seriously considering it. And thinking that maybe it is on my bucket list after all. On my commute home I was reading the new issue of Runner's World on my iPad and I saw this:


Maybe today really is someday. Maybe all signs do point to yes.

12 comments:

  1. So exciting! Sometimes you just need that nudge to get you to chase after a big goal. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks for your enthusiasm Jennifer! I think I can, I think I can...

      Delete
  3. You should go for it. It's a great race! Thanks for the shoutout as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None of this would have happened without you, you earned that shout-out! Plus that post is really, really awesome. People should read it ;)

      Delete
  4. That sounds exciting, Kim! I am rooting for you if you decide to make the leap!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gina! You'll need to give me some tips if I take that leap...

      Delete
  5. The marathon is truly life-changing. I would definitely encourage you to do it. Have you seen Spirit of the Marathon? I can lend it to you. It will help push you into the "yes" category for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, good suggestion. I haven't even heard of it. :)

      Delete
  6. Just re-read this post. I *love* this post and how this all worked out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy to look back on it now, isn't it? Kismet!

      Delete