Saturday, March 7, 2015

Vicariously Coming Full Circle

Today's run was a roller coaster of emotions for me, as I vicariously came full circle through Lynn. Our training run was moved from the usual location at the =PR= Reston store and the W&OD trail due to snow and ice. We relocated to Fox Mill Elementary as our home base, with the 3-mile stretch of Viking/Pinecrest as our substitute trail.

I ran here once last year during Cherry Blossom training when we similarly affected by snow and ice. It was a big day for me. I ran seven miles. It was the furthest I had run in more than 20 years and I conquered some mental demons that day. Today, as I headed towards Fox Mill, I thought about Lynn getting ready to do the same thing. Lynn's top distance before today was a 10k, and she was eager to see a 7 on her Garmin.

As a coach, I was thrilled to see how many of our runners came out for this morning's run. Snow and ice, coupled with cold weather and an unfamiliar location, make it easy to say no. To stay in bed, stay home, put off the long run until the weather improves later in the weekend. But our runners came out! In droves! Coach Mike brought the water and Gatorade coolers, Coach Laura brought Dunkin' Donuts Coffee and Munchkins, we were ready!

Look at that turnout! Amazing given the circumstances.
photo courtesy of Laurentina Photograhy

Running with Lynn, Karen, Christina, and Jamie, I reflected on that run last year. That was the day I met Karen, and we discovered we had similar paces. We've run countless miles together since then. I can't believe I've only known her for a year. I can't believe I've only known Lynn for a year and a half. My mind boggles at the thought that there was a time, not so long ago, that these women - all four of them, and so many others too numerous to list here - were not yet in my life!

Running on Viking Drive with Lynn
photo courtesy of Laurentina Photograhy

We ran three miles and took a quick break at the school for fueling. GUs, Honey Stinger Chews, and munchkins were consumed. I won't tell you who ate what, but all were effective at giving us the needed pick-me-ups. We headed back out for the next four miles, and long story short, ended up doing five more instead.

Karen, Lynn, and me - This one goes to 8!!

I could see the sense of accomplishment and pride all over Lynn's face. She told me that she now knew she would be able to run the ten miles of Cherry Blossom. I told her she always had the ability to run the ten miles, the difference is that she now believed she had the ability. And for so many of us, that's really the battle, isn't it? Knowing it, believing it. That's the battle I won last year, and today I watched Lynn win it, too. Full circle.

Lynn celebrates with munchkins & coffee

4 comments:

  1. Isn't this sport amazing? Outsiders might think it's just about running about, but during all that time, runners are able to engage in such introspection. Sure, sometimes it's just a run, but sometimes it's more. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sometimes it is so much more. I love those times. Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  2. Great post! always fun to see the running group in my neighborhood! And YAY Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for lending us your neighborhood Christine! We enjoyed it :)

      Delete