Saturday, August 8, 2015

MCM Training Week 8

Week 8 of Marine Corps Marathon training went by quickly. I had a lot going on at work and home which contributed to my missing one mid-week easy run and one strength workout. But I'm not going to beat myself up over it; I know I made the best choices for myself under the circumstances and I made sure that my long run was the overall training priority.


Carb-Loading

I dipped my toe into the concept of carb-loading this week. It is something I plan to do before the marathon, so I should test it out before then. I'll test it more fully before my longest runs (20 and 22 miles), but I thought it would be informative to consciously work on increasing my carbohydrate intake during the 2 days before my long run this week.

It was harder than I thought it would be to find foods that are primarily carbs, and I'm going to have to eat more calories than I normally do to get all the way up to 4 carbs per pound of body weight; I ate closer to 3 carbs per pound of body weight. (And I'm not sure if that is even the right amount - I need to read up on it in more detail.)

My energy was good throughout my 16 mile long run, which took just over 3-1/2 hours. So hopefully that means my glycogen levels were good and my fueling was on track. I want to do everything I can to prevent that marathon bonk I've heard so much about!

A typical day for me is on the left: I aim for 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein.
A "carb-loading" day from this week is on the right: 76% carbs, 10% protein, 14% fat.

Week 8 Statistics

I ran 3 times for a total of 25.6 miles.
  • Track: 5x1200 at threshold (T) w/ 2:30 minutes rest (5.3 miles)
    • I was pleased with my speedwork this week; I had good pacing & energy.
    • I was pushing for the maximum of our 4-6 repeats, and was frustrated when lightning showed up 1/3 of the way through my 6th and final repeat and I had to take cover. I definitely had it in me to finish strong on that last repeat. 
  • Easy run: 4.2 miles
  • Long run: 16.1 miles(!) - new longest run record 
  • Strength training: 2 times (my routine)
  • Yoga: um, pretty much no yoga happened this week

Onward to Week 9 when I will get fully back on track.

Read about previous training weeks



No comments:

Post a Comment