GoalsI've been thinking about my goals for the race. The one that immediately leaps to mind, of course, is to finish. But that isn't my only goal. Here are my goals so far:
- Get to the starting line injury-free
- Be in the moment and really experience MCM
- Beat the Bridge*
- Cross the finish line
- Time goal? Uncertain if I will have one. TBD...
* What is Beat the Bridge?
Runners must maintain the 14 minute-per-mile pace to reach the 14th Street Bridge and successfully "Beat the Bridge" just before mile marker 20. The 14th Street Bridge will reopen to vehicular traffic making it unavailable to runners after 1:15 p.m. Any runners unable to "Beat the Bridge" will be required to board the straggler buses and be driven to the event finish area.
|From the Marine Corps Marathon Facebook page - 50 days to go!|
Week 12 Statistics
I ran 4 times for a total of 26.5 miles.
- Track: 5x1000 at threshold (T) w/ 200 (speed)walk followed by 1 minute rest (4.5 miles)
- It was very humid and I barely slogged through this workout.
- My neuromas flared up for the first time in months during this run. I hope they don't make a return appearance anytime soon.
- Easy runs: 3.1 and 4.7 miles
- A big "thank you" to Roz who gave me sport beans during the 4.7 miler when I suddenly became ravenous.
- I should have eaten something closer to the run or brought a gel. My stomach was empty.
- Long run: 14.2 miles
- We started out too fast, running the first 4 miles closer to marathon pace than easy pace.
- Although we slowed down for the rest of the miles, we were feeling the effects of going out too fast by the end of our run.
- We'll make sure not to make the same mistake next week when we run 20 miles!
- Strength training: 3 times (my routine)
- Yoga: 1 yin yoga class