Trying New ThingsI tried some new things this week - race dots, gaiters, ice bath, and running on a clay/stone trail:
- Race Dots -
I wanted to like these but I just couldn't get my bib flat and straight. I made a real mess of it and switched to pins. So many of my friends love them, but they just aren't for me.Updated: After I watched the video on how to use race dots they worked much better for me and now I'm a fan!
- Gaiters - I got gaiters because the trail has lots of tiny rocks.
- I'll do a separate blog post on how they work and how I prepped my shoes for them.
- They worked great for keeping the rocks out of my shoes, but were tight enough that they made my neuromas flare and my feet go numb.
- I took them off at mile 2 - the feeling returned to my feet, and tiny rocks irritated me for the rest of the race.
- Isn't it ironic? Gaiters = no rocks, and numb feet that can't feel rocks. No Gaiters = rocks and the full sensation of those rocks in my shoes.
- Ice Bath - I took an ice bath after my long run...we'll see in the coming days whether it seems to help with my recovery. It wasn't as bad as I feared it would be. Although it wasn't exactly fun!
- Running on a Clay/Stone Trail - I am not a fan of this!!
- The rocks were annoying and the terrain was tough to run on.
- Parts were like cobblestones. The bottoms of my feet felt tender towards the end.
- I think it was harder on our bodies overall than our usual paved surface.
|Our crew at Revenge of the Penguins|
Coach Mike is the penguin - the race director asked him to come back next year!
Week 13 Statistics
I ran 4 times for a total of 31.4 miles.
- Track: 3200-1600-4x800 at race pace (RP) building to threshold (T) with 3 minutes rest between intervals (5.8 miles)
- I was really pleased with this workout, especially going for all 4 of the 800 repeats (our plan called for 2 to 4 repeats)
- Easy runs: 3.1 and 2.2 miles
- Long run: 20.3 miles (longest run to date!)
- We ran the "Revenge of the Penguins" 20-mile race as our training run.
- This run gave me a lot of confidence. I felt good throughout and ran the last 2.5 miles particularly fast for me.
- Coach Mike drove us and supported us and dressed as a penguin! He is awesome.
- Strength training: 4 times (my routine)
- Yoga: 1 yin yoga class
- I realized I will miss this class for the next 3 weeks since my runs will be on Sundays until October. That bums me out.