Saturday, October 17, 2015

MCM Training Week 18

I've finished Week 18 of Marine Corps Marathon training and completed my last long run before the race. I feel confident that I am as well-trained for the marathon as I could possibly be...but I'm still anxious.

Scenes from the last long run
photos courtesy of Laurentina Photography

Why am I anxious? My left hamstring/knee made their presence felt around mile 6 of my long run today, just like last week. During the week, they weren't an issue. I took my runs a little easier, foam rolled, and felt good going into today's run.

I was really mad when they started to act up! I've had a fantastic training season. Everything has gone so well. Why is this is happening now? I hope that after the race I can look back on this and say it was nothing; just another case of the taper crazies causing a phantom injury.

In the meantime, I got myself back to the chiropractor right after my run. I also made an appointment for Friday afternoon for a pre-race adjustment. I'm going to focus on being smart this week - foam rolling, resting/icing, getting lots of sleep, eating the good foods my body needs for fuel, and hydrating with both water/electrolytes. And I suspect there will be KT Tape on my left leg for MCM, just to be on the safe side.

My friend Susan gave this to me today to remind me that
I've done the hard work and now it is time to enjoy MCM!
Thank you Susan - this means more to me than I can say!

Week 18 Statistics

I ran 3 times for a total of 13.2 miles (wow - most of my long runs were longer than this weekly total).
  • Track: Turnover workout - easy warm-up followed by 8 repeats of 1 minute hard (as fast as you can without form breaking down), 2 minutes jog (3.0 miles)
    • I did a lower intensity version of this workout in case my leg acted up. My "hard" minutes started at threshold and moved to aerobic capacity (my paces)
  • Easy run: 2.2 miles 
  • Long run: 8 miles
  • Strength training: 2 time (my routine)
    • I did the pedestal & myrtl routines; skipped the lunges because of my leg
  • Yoga: I missed my yin class because Freddy & I were having too much fun at Oktoberfest in Reston. I am determined to go tomorrow! 

Onward to Week 19 and THE MARATHON!

Read about previous training weeks

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you Kim!!! Can't wait for you to turn that vision board to the "i did it" board :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer! I was just downstairs looking at the vision board while I did yoga in the basement. So ready!

      Delete